Friday, June 13, 2008

Update Day

Well today was update day, spent most of the day playing GH3 though :)

So I decided to update some software and install the rest of my most used applications. Starting with, Banshee, songbird, mp3 support, preload, prelink, thunderbird, freepats, gcc, build-essntial, clusterssh, rkhunter, chkrootkit, htop, bmpx, vlc, emacs and abiword. Who has the time for open office to load ehh???

So first things first, protect myself, installed firestarter, then enable highest protection settings allowing only minor services like ident though with httpd being redirected by my hardware router anyway to another box itś not a lot of things I need to allow software wise. rkhunter and chkrootkit are nice malware scanners that I run quite regularly to be sure I safe, itś not like windows where popup start going everywhere when something goes wrong, itś more hidden in OSS software as hackers want to stay hidden form view.

Songbird actually installed flawlessly now in two simple commands unlike before.
Preload helps with cache speed as I low on ram, same with prelink but they only make minor differences,, which are noticed when running on only 512 mb ram of course.

X-chat on the other hand is another story, simple binary works fine, but no luck on the newest build, tried compiling with all kinds of errors, might take a little while to work on that one.

Another Day of Ubuntu, another day of pleasure of not having all kinds of issues :D

No comments: