Tuesday, June 10, 2008

New O/S

Yes you heard right. I now have a new O/S. Well technically it´s the same version just a re-installation.

I finally broke down and decided to install RAID. After what appeared to be hours of searching for information on setting up mdadm and how to use software raid in Ubuntu I decided to flatten my system and do a complete installation.

It took me about an hour to do the full installation and get most if not all of my main applications up and running the same way they were before.

Steps:

  1. BACKUP
  2. BACKUP EVERYTHING in you home directory to another location. In My case another system I have running Samba on here.
  3. Make another backup using Home System Backup Application found in Add/Remove
  4. Do an installation and choose text mode
  5. When you get to the Hard Drive partition section following tutorial after adapting it to me needs.
  6. Copy you home directory back over and get all you settings back.
  7. You are COMPLETE
Well that was fun and now I have a backup encase I mess things up again or a hard drive fails :)




fdisk

No comments: