Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Value of Switching?

Yes The value of switching to an Open Source O/S is quite appealing, and still is baby.

After about 2 seconds I was able to find a nice tutorial or two about how to make DVD's from some xvid's I have lying around still. After just three or four clicks and a quick install from a .deb file I was up and converting my xvid's to DVD burnable iso's and burning them in no time. What a difference from say having to go out and purchase ConvertXDVD like I did back on my *Other* operating system.

Managed to find the alternative programs to just about everything I've used on windows now, including Pidgin which is practically windows live messenger on steroids and supports a dozen different instant messaging program. My GMail Notifier is running in the system tray just like windows and Deluge is very similar if not identical to uTorrent. XChat is fairly simple,I've used it before on windows and it's idential, not as sweet as good ole mIRC,but hey it's free. Even have my system monitor now running, so I can see tasks and give them priority the same as I would in winderz.


Switch worthwhile??? Heck yeah in my opinion, how about yours?

No comments: